Monday, August 30, 2010

2010 Team Defense Draft Rankings

When it comes right down to it, I see many people drafting a Team defense way to early on in a lot of fantasy football drafts. Any time you see the Jets Defense go off the board before the 12th round, what you should be saying is "Yeah, more decent WR and RB picks for me.

The truth of the matter is, I've found that any time that I pick a defense in the middle rounds thinking that I got one of the best, it almost always backfires on me.

You go into the season only thinking about how good the defense is. Unfortunately, the defense can fall apart with injuries or your opponent beats you heads up with a defense he just picked up that has a good matchup.

If you ride one defense for the entire year during your fantasy season, the best that you will do is on average about 2 to 3 points per week better than the 10th - 12th best defense. This means that you are not gaining a lot of advantage, except maybe the one or two games that you can steal against your opponent with a huge game from the defense.

Case in point - in two of my three drafts I picked a defense at the end of the draft. I then found out that Chicago's Defense is playing at home against the Detroit Lions. Chicago has done well at home against the Lions and usually gets up by a couple of TDs early. This leads to more chances at sacks, fumbles and interceptions. Also, Chicago is a threat to score on the special teams as well. I then dropped my drafted defense and picked up the Bears.

Rank Defense Team Bye
Team
1
New York Jets NYJ 7
2 Philadelphia Eagles PHI 8
3 Green Bay Packers GB 10
4 Minnesota Vikings MIN 4
5 New Orleans Saints NO 10
6 Pittsburgh Steelers PIT 5
7 San Francisco 49ers SF 9
8 New York Giants NYG 8
9 Cincinnati Bengals CIN 6
10 Baltimore Ravens BAL 8
11 Dallas Cowboys DAL 4
12 Oakland Raiders OAK 10
13 Chicago Bears CHI 8
14 Miami Dolphins MIA 5
15 Washington Redskins WAS 9

No comments:

Post a Comment