Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Darryl Jackson Heart Attack Special

Call it kharma for being so smug this morning.

At the start of the day, I was down in my second league by a score of 53 - 85. Everything sailed smoothly through the first game as I got 32 points from Carson Palmer and Baltimore's D. I was now tied up with my oppenent. I had three players left: Larry Fitzgerald, Neil Rackers and Vernon Davis. He had one player left, the aforementioned Darryl Jackson. "Easy as cake" ... "a sure win" ... "why am I staying up to watch this game?" These were all questions floating around in my mind.

What did I say earlier today? "Never say die while playing your fantasy football competition ... ever." Well, it almost rang true in reverse on me tonight; and I stayed up to watch the entire game this time around. I watched as neither the Cardinals or the 49ers could muster up any kind of offense against each other. I watched as my to receivers in this game combined for 2 points. Sweet!

The game was winding down now. Darryl Jackson hasn't done anything all game. My oppenent was stuck at 86 points from the first quarter on. I was stuck at 91 points for most of the second half. Darn it all to heck, I still have to stay up for this? One lucky play can get my oppenent the win?

Arizona gets a clutch touchdown to put them up 17-13 late in the game. Alex Smith has passed for less than 70 yards all game; there's no way he could take them all the way down the field with a little over two minutes left ... could he?

Right on cue, two passes to Darryl Jackson. Two more points closer to me; starting to have signs of stress. Alex Smith leads his team to the Cardinal's 45 yard line. Short yardage situation on a second down, what do you think is going to happen? Again on cue, a perfect deep pass to Jackson that should have been the knife in my heart for opening my mouth earlier today ... miraculously slips through his hands in the endzone.

Danger averted, right? Wrong!

After a third down incomplete pass, Alex Smith does his best Steve Young impression on 4th and 1 by running 25 yards down to the 20 yard line. Starting to sweat bullets now. They already went to him. He's getting open. It's my turn to get devistated. So hows it going to happen?

A pass to Arnaz Battle; what looks like a completion at the goal line. He fumbled it, wait for it ... Arizona has a crack at it! Oh no! Darryl Jackson jumped on it in the endzone!! Son of a (bleep)! (followed by a whole lot more bleeps)

What? Are you kidding?! Incomplete pass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAHHHHHH!!! (my heart skips a beat) No time for celebrations yet; its first and goal with the 5 yard line. Oh yes, its a hand off - for a touchdown! Disaster averted. That game made me tired; well that and staying up to write my memoirs of the game.

With the first weeked of fantasy football in the books, I am now 1-0 in both my leagues thanks to two miraculous (and completely lucky) endings. I know what's coming in the upcomming weeks. No good deed goes unpunished, so I will be expecting this to come back at me full circle. As I speak, I know that I will probably be back on upcoming blogs saying how I used up all my magic in the first week. Then again, maybe I can luck my way to the championship.

In my upcoming blogs, expect to find the following:

Fantasy Football updates, injuries, and other news
NFL spread winners
Who's going to be hot/Who to sit/Weekly Sleeper Picks
Week ending results
Fantasy Football Stories and such

Hope you find it infomative and entertaining

No comments:

Post a Comment